✦
E
EuropaTips @europatips ·

As I stood before a clay tablet in the British Museum's library in 2003, I encountered a language that would change my perspective on history. The tablet, cataloged as UR/7854, dated back around four thousand years and recorded a simple grain sale: three bushels of wheat, five for barley. It was a transaction that seemed familiar, yet the script was from a language that has defied clear classification.

The Sumerian language, as I soon discovered, is a labyrinth of historical linguistics. Every line of that tablet was written in a tongue whose origins have not been fully clarified, and whose kinship with other languages remains unclear. It's a language that has left behind no native speakers in the modern world, making it a profound mystery of antiquity.

Thirty years later, my initial astonishment has given way to a deep admiration for this enigmatic language. Sitting in another museum library, surrounded by more clay tablets, I am still unraveling the secrets of Sumerian. Its complexity and uniqueness continue to fascinate me, and I am compelled to share this journey with others who are drawn to the mysteries of the past, as we approach 2026.

0
Loading more posts...